Where we fight to the top of a building whilst shouting off condescending taunts.
Until Dawn has had a bit of a torrid time in development since it was first unveiled at Gamescom a few years ago. After the initial buzz, the development team went completely off the radar and only broke cover to occasionally remind us that the game was still in development – that was until the game resurfaced at Gamescom 2014 with a bang. Until Dawn is now shaping up to be a horror experience like no other, with branching story paths, jump scares and a general feeling of terror awaiting around every corner.
The below footage of Until Dawn was captured at EGX 2014 this past weekend and shows some of the Heavy Rain meets Outlast game play. The game tells he story of a group of friends who go on a winter getaway but things start to go wrong as one by one, your friends start to turn up dead. Check it out.
Until Dawn is due out in 2015 and is a PS4 exclusive.
Sony had some stiff competition at Gamescom 2014. Microsoft went first, as usual, and announced that Rise of The Tomb Raider will be exclusive to the Xbox One. They showed off Forza Horizon 2, Oni and a glut of indie games including Goat Simulator and Super Hot. It was a decent showing – something hard for a Sony Pony like myself to admit. Sony had to fire some major shots back and here is what was in their arsenal during the PlayStation Press Conference at Gamescom 2014, in handy bullet point form with screenshots, trailers and details…
- Sony started their conference with a sizzle real showing off footage of The Last of Remastered, Arkham Knight, Little Big Planet, Velocity 2X and a tonne more with the tag line “This is for the players…”
- Jim Ryan announced that Playstation 4 has sold more than 10 Million Units globally. That is 10. Ten. A huge number in less than 9 months.
- Dylan Cuthbert of Q Games (famous for Pixeljunk titles) took to the stage to introduce a collaboration with SCEE to bring a new title called The Tomorrow Children.
- Next Up was a trailer for The Astronauts spooky The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, will be coming to the PS4.
- Mike Bithell of Thomas Was Alone fame took to the stage next to talk about Volume and introduce a new trailer for the game, coming to the PS4 and Vita first.
- Hollowpoint, a tactical shooter will be coming to the PS4 as part of an agreement with Paradox to bring all of their games to the Playstation platform first.
- DayZ will be coming to the PS4 with cross platform play with the PC!
- Ninja Theory are bringing a new game called Hellblade to the PS4.
- A new trailer for Rime was shown – it looks lovely.
- An indie sizzle reel showed off Snow, Nom Nom Galaxy, Ether and 5 others are coming to the PS4 first in the next 6 months.
- Erik Hershberg took to the stage to talk about Destiny. A lot of PR bull, big talk and a reminder about the PlayStation timed exclusive content was followed by the announcement that the game has become the biggest pre-ordered game in history and then a multiplayer trailer.
- Alex Hudginson from Ubisoft then introduced a video about Far Cry 4’s environment and a few titbits about the story. The 10 Keys of Kyrat will be the “play the game without owning it” feature. You can send a key to a friend and then they can join your game.
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor got a new impressive trailer and some exclusive content will be coming to PS4.
- Konami were in attendance to show off some Phantom Pain game play – with cardboard boxes.
- P.t. got teased and an interactive teaser is available now.
- YouTube Upload, friend finder and share play got announced for PS4 firmware 2.0.
- PlayStation Now is coming to the EU in 2015 with the first beta launching in the UK.
- Playstation TV will launch on November 19th for 99 Euros.
- Until Dawn got reintroduced and is now coming to the PS4 with 8 player multiplayer. Trailer here:
- Driveclub looked sexier than ever in some new game play and some discussion about club play, shared rewards and dynamic weather.
- Rex from Media Molecule took to the stage and announced that Tearaway Unfolded will be coming to the PS4 making great use of the Dualshock 4 controller touch pad.
- New game alert! Housemarque weren’t lying when they said they would blow our mind. Their new title Alienation looks amazing.
- Wild Sheep studios are bringing Wild exclusively to the PS4 which will allow you to play as any living creature in the game.
Any that is a wrap. Thoughts? Personally I think it was a very varied show but lacked that final megaton that would have knocked it out of the park.
Here we are again, another week (and final week) where Sony has released another teaser trailer for their upcoming Gamescom 2014 big reveal.
There are still no details regarding what the game is, but the internet is rife with rumours about it being Until Dawn. There is a little teaser hint in this trailer with the words ‘Horror Reinvented’ so we know that the snow, blood, axe and now window are all horror related. Obviously.
Anyways, The trailer is below, and I’m sure we’ll finally hear what the game is at the Sony GamesCom press event tonight (6pm BST)